Skip to content

Can a Person Resign From Being One of Jehovah’s Witnesses?

Can a Person Resign From Being One of Jehovah’s Witnesses?

 Yes. A person can resign from our organization in two ways:

  •   By formal request. Either orally or in writing, a person can state his decision that he no longer wants to be known as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

  •   By action. A person can take an action that places him outside our worldwide brotherhood. (1 Peter 5:9) For example, he might join another religion and make known his intention to remain part of it.​—1 John 2:​19.

What if a person no longer preaches or attends your meetings? Do you view that person as having resigned?

 No, we do not. Resigning, or disassociating oneself, is different from becoming weak in faith. Often, those who for a time slow down or stop in their worship have not abandoned their faith but are suffering from discouragement. Rather than shunning such ones, we try to give them consolation and support. (1 Thessalonians 5:​14; Jude 22) If the person wants help, congregation elders take the lead in providing spiritual assistance.​—Galatians 6:1; 1 Peter 5:​1-3.

 However, the elders are not authorized to coerce or pressure someone to remain as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses. Each person makes his own choice regarding religion. (Joshua 24:15) We believe that those who worship God must do so willingly, from the heart.​—Psalm 110:3; Matthew 22:37.